In my early research for the show I spoke to different women in their 20s about what they thought the ‘rules’ and observations to being a respectable modern women were. we came up with:
1) A woman should not be too forward and easy with her favours
2) A woman Should have interesting and appropriate pursuits/hobbies
3) A woman Should take care of her appearance
4) A woman shouldn’t be involved in scandal or gossip
5) A woman shouldn’t kiss until the 3rd date rule.
6) A woman shouldn’t talk about her period
7) A woman shouldn’t swear
8) A woman shouldn’t talk openly about her sex life
10) A woman shouldn’t pander to men
11) A woman should be able to provide for herself
12) A woman should have her own views and opinions
13) A woman should know how to cook/ be domestic
14) A woman is supposed to be nurturing
15) A woman is supposed to be sensitive and emotional
16) A woman is hardly ever the CEO of a buisness
17) A woman is supposed to have no body hair
18) A woman must never be publically intoxicated.
19) A woman is expected to be a full-time mum and full-time worker
20) Woman are still not majorly involved in high ranking politics – anyone that is considered a non-woman (iron lady)
22) When a man is aggressive in the meeting room hes know as powerful. If a woman is she’s known as a bitch.
23) Still get labels, especially in the media - a wife of, sister of, daughter of.
24) Don’t make as much money as men.
25) Idea of getting married by a certain age to avoid being ‘left on the shelf’
26) Woman supposed to use their words not their fists.
27) Supposed to be feminine